Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Scrambled Eggs

There are these things I have, That everyone has really. Some people have more than others, Some people's are simple. I have alot. Mine are complex.

They're eggs.

I've had them for years (21years 7months and 28days actually). I don't seem to rotate through them, or get rid of any, but actually, add more to the collection. Every year there are more and more, and I find myself trying to figure out where to put them all. So I find random places to put them.

In bowls that were never meant to hold them.

On plates they sometimes roll off of.

Then the most extraordinarily wonderful peculiar thing happened...

I met someone with a basket.

Overly thrilled, Overly enthusiastic, and Overly eager, I gathered up all my eggs and threw them all in their basket... Agreeably too soon.

And of course, understandably, they became overwhelmed and dropped the basket. A few of my eggs cracked.

They didn't mean to, I know that.

We agreed though, maybe I should just add the eggs one by one.

So that's what I began doing. Softly placing eggs in the basket, one by one, and sneaking in an extra one from time to time.

They've occasionally handed me back an egg and said "not yet," to which they've always come back, found the egg, and placed it in the basket themselves.

I only have a few of them left now. They're just sitting there, and I'm just staring them. I know they're not ready for these eggs. Just like I'm not ready.

Will they be though? Will I be?

What if I give these eggs in the basket, these last few eggs, what if I put them in there, the basket becomes too heavy........ and they drop them? All of them. Again. Only...this time they wouldn't crack.

They'd break.

So. Completely out of fear of the basket being dropped again, I've begun to put the last of them back in bowls, on tables, and in drawers.

Trying to decide whether I'm supposed to give the eggs, placing them gently in the basket.

keep them to myself... keep them sitting.

...Or let them take the eggs themselves...

2 comments: