Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Drive me Crazy!

I'm a prideful driver.

I can fully admit it.

I'm prideful... because I'm good. I realize how serious cars are, but at the same time I'm not endangering everyone in my car because I'm too timid.

I'm also overly confident in my sense of direction, and I get upset when... I do in-fact know EXACTLY where I'm going and you don't listen to me while I'm sitting in the passenger seat. (Luckily... I'm dating someone who is patient with my false ego in directions, yet also trusts me when I say "I know what I'm talking about").

All this being said... I rarely tell anyone I think they're a bad driver. When... I usually do think people are bad drivers. I will rarely tell you HOW to drive, unless I begin to fear for my safety.

I just grew up with my mom being a really good, yet aggressive driver, and I picked up her driving habits. And I've come to accept, most drivers didn't have such great teacher.

So while I stand by my, I don't like telling people how to drive, I feel I need to make this public announcement, bring an important driving... issue(?)... to the forefront of peoples minds.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like today to speak to you of the blinker. I have two points to make.

Item number ONE.

One of my favorite jokes about drivers is, "Well... if you buy a used car in Utah, at least you know the blinker is brand new.".... This is funny when you're sitting around a kitchen table trading stupid jokes. But let me tell you... it's not funny on the free way. Or on any road where I'm going over 20 mph. Please. Take the two-three seconds to use the universal signal that informs people around you of your desire to change lanes.

Item number TWO.

My blinker is located roughly on the side of the back of my car. (see image)(Blinkers are located two in the back, right and left, as well as two in front, also, the right and left).

They call it a blinker, because it is a light that once turned on, flashes on and off. That is my non-verbal communitive of telling you (freeway drivers) that I would like to change lanes.

MY BLINKER IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH A YELLOW LIGHT!

Somewhere along the line we, as a society decided to ignore the "yellow means slow down." We in-fact, do the opposite, we speed up. We all are guilty of it. We as a whole. As a society collectively made that decision .

WE HAVE NOT COLLECTIVELY DECIDED TO TREAT BLINKERS THE SAME WAY.

so... stop it.

If someone turns their blinker on. Allow them the room to merge over. It's not a big deal that they want to play in your lane too. They'll most likely leave quicker than they came. Also... when they do come into your lane, don't throw your hands up and shout something like they can hear you. You just look dumb and makes them decide they don't like you. When... you're probably an okay person when not behind "the wheel."

..... That is all for this public service announcement...

Thank you and happy driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment