Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

For, Fore, and Four

With my birthday being only 10 days before Christmas, to make my life easier, I always combined my birthday wish list, my Christmas wish list, and my letter to Santa. This seemed to be the best way to do it, and a flawless procedure.

My story takes place during the month of December 1993. At the first of the month, I sat there next to my mother and told her everything I wanted for Christmas and my birthday. She composed the letter to Santa, and I excitedly watched as she wrote down the list of things I not only wanted, but NEEEEEEEEDED.

With the understanding of a three year old, it only made sense that everything I received, I was to get four of them. This is completely understandable that it was supposed to be like that because at dinner, when I didn't want to eat anymore, I had to have three more bites. Time out lasted three minutes. And I was aloud three cookies. My whole life, the good, the bad, the ugly, revolved around the fact that I was three. Why would age four be any different? So, the most important thing, the thing I needed the most, was always the last thing I asked for. I wanted it fresh in Santa's mind. The last thing in the letter "four baby golden retriever puppies." the letter was signed and sent off. Now all I had to do was wait.

Christmas morning finally came and while laying in bed I could hear a little puppy crying. Eyes wide I jump out of bed and bolt downstairs. As I walk into the family room, my aunt and brother are already sitting there. I look around the sparkling decorated tree anxiously. WHERE'S MY PUPPIES?! Shhh.... whats that? One of them is crying again. I franticly look under presents, under couches, behind my brothers back.

While searching around the room, I look back to the Christmas tree and see this:

Not only is there only ONE of him... He's not even real. I pick him up, very well knowing he's mine, walk over to my mother and confused I say "this isn't what I asked for..."

She corrects me with a simple "yes it is." I shake my head "No. I asked for FOUR golden retriever puppies."

This became a life changing moment for me. Literally, life changing. If you've EVER thought I was good with words, it's because of this moment. December 25, 1993 I received my first english lesson. And it was on for, four, and fore.

Somehow, whether it was while writing the list of things wanted, or during the composing of the letter to santa, it went from "FOUR golden retriever puppies." to "FOR Christmas, a golden retriever puppy, 'FOUR.'" I went from asking FOR FOUR live puppies, to a puppy named Four.

Four is my oldest, and still my favorite stuffed animal. He is also my biggest reminder on the importance of word choice................Nice save Mom.

1 comment:

  1. bahahahaha i absolutely love it!!! That is one clever mother of yours :) My mom had to get pretty creative as well! what can we say... we little girls know what we want ;)

    ReplyDelete